The Leelanau County Prosecutor’s Office is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time (35 hours per week) Assistant Prosecuting Attorney.
This non-union, at-will position has full County benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, and a pension plan, with a beginning annual pay range of $60,599.76 to $67,341.42. A link to a job description and online application can be found on the County website (www.leelanau.gov) on the “Employment Opportunities” page, listed under “Quick Links.” Any attachments must be in a PDF-format.
Inquiries can be directed to:
Joseph Hubbell, Leelanau County Prosecuting Attorney
8527 E. Government Center Dr., Suite #202
Suttons Bay, MI 49682
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
Education: Juris Doctorate from accredited law school
- Admission into the State Bar of Michigan and in good standing
- Pass a criminal background check and fingerprinted prior to employment
- Follow supervisors’ directions
- Practice the law using common sense and discretion
- Manage time and cases with minimal supervision after training
- Work well with supervisors, colleagues, and other agencies
- Be compassionate towards victims
Non-comprehensive list of possible Duties:
- Criminal Prosecution – Vertical case prosecution including: assist with investigation; charge criminal cases; participate at bond hearings, arraignments, pretrial motions, and other hearings; and conduct trials; advocate at sentencings and appeals.
- Family Court – Assist and advise DHHS in Abuse/Neglect cases and mental health petitions; prosecute Juvenile Delinquency petitions.
- Prosecutor’s Office – Case and office planning, write and present legal opinions and training, assist with Freedom of Information Act requests, and assist supervisors and colleagues with their assignments
The Leelanau Prosecuting Attorney’s Office is interested in quality over prior legal experience. In order to create a well-rounded team, please provide your legal and personal interests.
The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience which could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job will be considered.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.