Prosecuting Attorney- Branch County
PROSECUTING ATTORNEY FOR BRANCH COUNTY
GENERAL SUMMARY AND DUTIES: The Prosecuting Attorney shall be under the duty to appear for the state or county and prosecute or defend in all the courts of the county, all prosecutions, suits, applications and motions, whether civil or criminal, in which the state or county may be a party or interested. The Prosecuting Attorney shall undertake and execute all duties imposed by law and shall administrate the office of the prosecutor responsibly and competently.
Pursuant to statute, the Branch County Circuit Court Judge shall appoint a qualified candidate to fill the vacancy created by the departure of the current Branch County Prosecutor. The appointed prosecutor shall hold office for the remainder of the unexpired term and until a successor is elected and qualified. An appointee seeking election shall be eligible to the office of the prosecuting attorney only if that person is a registered and qualified elector of Branch County by the filing deadline.
Competence for the successful performance of job duties would include, but are not limited to, the following skills:
- This candidate must exemplify the highest professional standard, work ethic and must be of exceptional moral character to provide for the leadership needed in this position.
- Excellent oral argument and trial skills, along with well-developed negotiating skills.
- Excellent written communication skills and knowledge of the principles and practices of legal brief preparation.
- Thorough knowledge of criminal and civil law and procedure, constitutional law and the rules of evidence, administrative, the Michigan Court Rules, and the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Excellent interpersonal and human relations skills.
- Strong administrative skills to meet staffing needs and provide leadership within the office setting.
- Knowledge of labor relations rules and regulations.
- Ability to interact positively and professionally with county, state and local unit officials, executives and administrators as well as with colleagues, law enforcement and the general public.
- Any candidate for this position must understand that this Office has only three attorneys including the Prosecutor. This is not an administrative position. The candidate must be willing and prepared to handle any case at any given time in the Circuit Court, District Court, and/or Probate Court.
Required Education and Experience: Juris Doctor Degree with a Certificate of Admittance to the State Bar of Michigan as evidence of continued good professional standing and authority to practice law throughout the state.
Prosecutor salary for 2019 is $97,579.00. Full time plus fringe benefits.
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their resume and cover letter by email to:
or by mail to:
Branch County Courthouse
Attn: Pamela Gilchrest – Court Administrator
31 Division Street
Coldwater, MI 49036
Any further inquiry as to this opening/announcement you may contact Pamela Gilchrest – Court Administrator at (517)279-4304
Posting Date: January 2, 2019
Deadline: January 18, 2019
Branch County is an Equal Opportunity Provider and Employer.