Grievance Administrator - Attorney Grievance Commission
Position Available: Grievance Administrator
Financial Information: $111,373.92 - $150,356.88
The Attorney Grievance Commission (AGC) www.agcmi.org is looking for qualified applicants for the position of Grievance Administrator. The AGC is the investigative and prosecutorial arm of the Michigan Supreme Court for allegations of attorney misconduct. The AGC serves to maintain and promote the integrity of the Bar and to protect the public, the courts, and the legal profession. The AGC has jurisdiction over all attorneys licensed to practice law by the State Bar of Michigan and attorneys otherwise permitted to practice law in the State of Michigan. This position is responsible for overseeing administrative and legal actions necessary to facilitate the Commission’s role. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following, though, other duties may be assigned.
• Directs the personnel administration of the Attorney Grievance Commission including supervising the employment process, training, assigning work, reviewing and evaluating performance, determining office policy and procedures, responding to employee relations issues and recommending salary and benefit adjustments for Commission consideration.
• Presents to the Commission recommendations regarding case dispositions.
• Serves as legal advisor to the Commission on matters involving attorney discipline, such as proposed changes to the Michigan Rules of Professional Responsibility.
• Employs or retains attorneys, investigators, paralegals, and staff with the oversight of the Commission.
• Prepares and presents the annual budget for approval of the Commission and submission to the Michigan Supreme Court and reviews and approves all expenditures.
• Prepares annual and quarterly reports.
• Assists the public in preparing requests for investigation.
• Investigates alleged misconduct of attorneys, including serving a request for investigation in his or her name if necessary.
• Prosecutes complaints authorized by the Commission.
• Reviews and approves recommendations of staff counsel prior to submitting to Commission.
• Prosecutes or defends appeals as the Commission authorizes.
• Maintains the Commission’s records created as a result of the Michigan Court rules of 1985, and as amended by the Michigan Supreme Court.
EDUCATION: Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school.
EXPERIENCE: Five or more years of progressively responsible or expansive litigation and supervisory experience.
LICENSING/PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION: Active membership in the State Bar of Michigan. Active license with United State District Court-Eastern Division preferred.
WORK LOCATION: Buhl Building, Detroit, Michigan. Work is typically completed in an office environment and requires occasional in-state travel.
TO APPLY: Please e-mail your cover letter (including how you meet the minimum job requirements) and resume in Word or Adobe.pdf format to email@example.com and include “Grievance Administrator” in the subject line.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 8, 2019 – 5:00 p.m.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER