Assistant Prosecuting Attorney - Cheboygan
Cheboygan County is accepting applications and resumes for the Assistant Prosecutor within the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney. Under the supervision of the Prosecuting Attorney, the Assistant Prosecuting Attorney will be responsible for handling primarily the juvenile delinquent, neglect & abuse, and mental health files in Probate Court; and assisting with the overflow of cases in the office, including district and circuit court matters in a paperless office environment.
Full time Starting Salary: $72,200 plus competitive benefit package.
The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Must possess a Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school, membership in good standing in the State Bar of Michigan, possession of a valid Michigan Driver’s License, and be able to pass a personal background investigation including a criminal history check.
Working knowledge of computers, internet, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, scanners, and other general equipment.
Good communication skills with public and staff members.
Be able to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
Under the supervision of the Prosecuting Attorney, must be able to:
- Review police reports to authorize or deny warrant requests for criminal prosecution.
- Represent the State of Michigan in all stages of prosecution for misdemeanor, felony, and probate cases by appearing in District, Circuit, and/or Probate courts from authorization through trial.
- Interview victims and witnesses
- Draft all types of legal pleadings; for example: motions, briefs, stipulations, witness lists, and jury instructions.
- Prepare and review search warrants.
- Consult with law enforcement agencies.
- Any other duties assigned by the prosecuting attorney.
- Applicant must be proficient in legal research and writing.
Physical Abilities: walking; climbing of stairs; bending, stooping, kneeling; ability to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs.
Professional attire according to the county policy is required.
Applications must be submitted with a resume by Friday, November 6, 2020. A detailed job description and application is available at www.cheboygancounty.net.
Submit or e-mail the Cheboygan County application with professional resume to:
Cheboygan County Prosecutor’s Office
870 South Main Street
P.O. Box 70
Cheboygan, Michigan 49721
Cheboygan County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider
Complaints of discrimination should be sent to: USDA, Director of Civil Rights, and Washington D.C. 20250-9410
Posted: October 12, 2020