Under the direction of the Prosecuting Attorney and the Chief Assistant, reviews and authorizes requests for warrants, determines the appropriate charge and prosecutes criminal cases. As an experienced Assistant Prosecutor, independently manages the felony docket of a Circuit Court, as well as District and Probate Court matters as necessary, and may be assigned some of the more complex or sensitive cases. Attempts to resolve and dispose of criminal cases or tries case in court. May serve as project director for child support, sexual assault or other target areas.
Legal writing sample and cover letter required with job application
- Reviews criminal warrant requests from State and local law enforcement agencies, analyzes police reports, collects input from the law enforcement officer(s), researches the law as necessary to determine applicable statutes and determines whether adequate grounds exist to authorize a warrant.
- Researches and prepares criminal cases for trial, motions, sentencings, and other proceedings. Includes the research of applicable law, interviewing witnesses and investigating claims, developing trial strategies and directing law enforcement officers in further investigation.
- Appears in court for arraignments, motions, trials, sentencings, and other proceedings to represent the Prosecutor. Selects juries, presents arguments, examines and cross-examines witnesses, introduces physical exhibits, confers with Judge and defense counsel on points of law and procedure and argues factual conclusions to a Judge or jury.
- Works cooperatively with law enforcement officers from various agencies to ensure investigation and reporting of assigned cases are accomplished in accordance with professional and judicial rules and standards. Provides advice and instructions to police agencies.
- Attemptstoresolveanddisposeofpendingcriminalordelinquencycasesjustlyby conferringwithattorneysandpartiesinvolvedinordertoreachagreementonpleas andpotentialsentences. Allpleabargainingissubjecttoofficepoliciesand procedures.
- Draftsmotions, briefsandotherlegaldocumentsinallcourts.
- AssiststheprosecutorinallFamilyandProbateCourtmatters, includingabuse, neglect, delinquencyandmentalcommitmentcases. Includesreviewofjuvenile petitions, caseresearch, investigationandpresentationincourt.
- Reviewsrequestsforsearchwarrantsandapproveswarrantsasappropriatefor presentationtoajudgeormagistrate.
- ResearchesandrendersopinionsonawiderangeoflegalissuesinvolvingtheCounty andadvisescountyagenciesanddepartmentsonlegalissues.
- AssistsinthepreparationandpresentationofappealsofcasesfromtheDistrictand FamilyCourts.
- Servesinanon-callstatustoreviewchargerequestsandsearchwarrantsoutsideof regularofficehours. Includesrespondingtopolicerequestsforsearchwarrantsfor bloodfromsuspecteddrunkdrivers.
- At-willposition. ServesatthepleasureoftheProsecutingAttorney. MCL49.35.
This list may not be inclusive of the total scope of job functions to be performed. Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or modified at any time.
- May be designated to prosecute criminal sexual conduct cases involving minor child victims. Such prosecution will involve meeting with and preparing child victims to testify in court proceedings. It will also necessitate extensive knowledge of the forensic interviewing protocol and observation of forensic interviews of child victims.
Physical Requirements [This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements]:
- Ability to access all courtrooms within the County.
- Prolonged sitting and standing while in the courtroom.
- Proficient in the use of computers and other technological devices for file management and case presentation.
- Works in office and courtrooms.
- Exposure to individuals charged and/or convicted of a variety of criminal offenses.
To Apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/eatoncountymi/jobs/2937073/assistant-prosecuting-attorney?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs