Assistant Prosecuting Attorney- Ottawa County
Job Description: Begins as an entry level Assistant Prosecutor in a learning capacity and, with increasing experience and competence, works as an intermediate or developing-level assistant prosecutor. Beginning emphasis is on legal research, with increasing responsibility for general trial work. As trial skills develop may be assigned a limited felony caseload, in addition to district court and juvenile/family court responsibilities.
This is a full-time, benefited position working at either the Holland District Court in Holland, MI or Grand Haven Courthouse in Grand Haven, MI. The location determinination will be based on office needs at that time. Requires regular travel throughout the county.
Salary: $65,144.04 - $84,303.44 Annually
- Essential Job Functions
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Researches legal matters as assigned by senior attorney staff.
- Prepares legal briefs, responds to motions, and presents arguments in lower courts.
- Assists with the research and argument of appellate cases.
- Initially under the supervision of a senior attorney, reviews adult warrant and juvenile petition requests alleging violations of state law and local ordinances. Reviews facts and evidence presented by law enforcement agencies to determine whether criminal charges should be authorized and determine the appropriate charges. Prepares arrest warrants and other necessary legal documents in connection with such charges.
- Prepares and prosecutes criminal and civil cases in the lower courts.
- As legal and trial skills develop, conducts preliminary examinations in felony cases and handles a limited felony caseload.
- May be assigned to handle a variety of juvenile/family court matters including juvenile delinquency, abuse and neglect, guardianship, and mental commitment proceedings.
- May be assigned as a specialist to conduct all aspects of non-support and paternity cases from initial review of referral documentation through court appearances.
- Required Education, Training and Experience
Graduation from an accredited law school. No prior professional legal experience is required.
Licenses and Certifications:
Must be a member in good standing of the State Bar of Michigan.
- Additional Requirements and Information
The qualified candidate will have the following knowledge and skills:
- Working knowledge of civil procedure and legal method. Working knowledge of criminal and constitutional law.
- Working knowledge of legal writing and legal research methods and resources. Working knowledge of administrative law and municipal law.
- Working knowledge of the Constitution of the State of Michigan. Working knowledge of the principles and practices of legal brief preparation.
- Working knowledge of the Michigan Court Rules and State Court Administrative office rules and requirements, with an emphasis on criminal court rules and procedures.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent oral argument skills. Well-developed negotiating skills.
- Working knowledge of the American Bar Association canon of ethics and standards of professional practice.
- Excellent interpersonal and human relations skills.
- Ability to interact positively and professionally with County, state and local unit officials, executives and administrators; employees, community and business representatives, and members of the general public with widely divergent socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and varying levels of communication skills and analytical knowledge and sophistication.
Must be able to perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations, including, but not limited to, visual and/or audiological appliances and devices to increase mobility. Majority of work is performed in courtrooms and normal office environments. Direct contact and exposure to individuals charged with and/or convicted of a variety of criminal charges.
Ottawa County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To Apply and for additional information: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/miottawa/jobs/2814144/assistant-prosecuting-attorney-i