Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney- Branch County
This position is held by an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan. The Chief-Assistant Prosecuting Attorney will participate in the processing of complaints from various policy agencies and assisting in all phases of prosecution. The Chief-Assistant Prosecuting Attorney also assists in the administration of the office and oversight of office staff. Employees must meet the minimum requirements, conditions of employment, and be able to perform successfully all essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Assists in the day-to-day tasks of reviewing police reports, warrant screening, reviewing of search warrants, petitions, and other legal documents.
- Provides guidance to the police and other governmental agencies in their investigation of complaints.
- Prepares for litigation proceedings, which includes: researching the law; writing and preparing briefs; conversing with and preparing witnesses to give testimony; negotiating case resolutions with attorneys; preparing and implementing case strategies; and, performing related activities.
- Presents and argues cases to juries, judges, and other fact finders.
- Prosecutes all phases of criminal trials, jury or non-jury, and/or hearings in Circuit Court, District Court, and Probate Courts.
- Assists in the administration of the office and oversight of office staff.
- Attend various organizational meetings and conferences on behalf of the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
- Must be a licensed attorney in the State of Michigan in good standing.
- Must be proficient in English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and simple mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, etc.
- Must have a fundamental knowledge of basic criminal law
- Must have interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with customers, co-workers, and representatives of other agencies.
- Must be able to appropriately and effectively represent the County at a variety of community events and activities in support of positive public relations initiatives, and develop liaison relationships between the community and the County.
- Must possess skill and ambition in researching and resolving problems in order to ensure compliance
- Must be able to interpret and explain complex policies, processes, regulations, and applicable laws in layman's terms
- Must be able to consistently demonstrate sound ethics decision making and judgment
- Must be able to think analytically and apply sound judgment, solve problems, make effective decisions, and act with integrity
- Must be able to facilitate meetings effectively and efficiently
- Must be able to learn to operate JIS Court Records System.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Must be able to learn and utilize office technology including, but not limited to, PolyCom, Zoom, JIS, Desktop computing, Excel, Adult Case Tracking, Juvenile Case Tracking, Microsoft Word, Adobe etc.
- Must have a high level of professional organization and professionalism.
- Must complete a clean drug screen prior to employment, except for substances legally prescribed by a physician.
- A background check will also be conducted on the applicant.
- Extensive experience in criminal prosecution, including experience in presenting serious felonies and homicides to juries.
- Extensive knowledge in the policies and procedures of Michigan prosecuting attorney offices.
- High level of effective communication and case presentation.
Juris Doctorate Degree
Hours: This position is a salary position based upon 40 hours per week. However, the applicant is expected to be available when needed, based upon needs of the office and law enforcement. The applicant also must be on-call every third weekend.
Send resumes/correspondence to:
The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office of Branch County
ATTN: Zachary W. Stempien
Branch County Courthouse
31 Division St.
Coldwater MI 49036
Resume accepted via email to: email@example.com
Branch County is an equal opportunity employer.