Contractual Attorney/Legal Extern- Branch County
This position is a temporary grant funded position designed to assist in alleviating the backlog of criminal cases caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. The applicant will be hired on a contractual basis earning a maximum of $18,000 in calendar year 2021. The hours are flexible, based upon the needs of the office and court.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Assists in the day-to-day tasks of reviewing police reports, warrant screening, reviewing of search warrants, petitions, and other legal documents.
- Prepares for litigation proceedings, which includes: researching the law; writing and preparing briefs; conversing with and preparing witnesses to give testimony; negotiating case resolutions with attorneys; preparing and implementing case strategies; and, performing related activities.
- Presents and argues cases to juries, judges, and other fact finders.
- Prosecutes all phases of criminal trials, jury or non-jury, and/or hearings in Circuit Court, District Court, and Probate Courts.
- Must be a licensed attorney in the State of Michigan in good standing.
- Must be proficient in English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and simple mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, etc.
- Must have a fundamental knowledge of basic criminal law
- Must have interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with customers, co-workers, and representatives of other agencies.
- Must possess skill and ambition in researching and resolving problems in order to ensure compliance
- Must be able to interpret and explain complex policies, processes, regulations, and applicable laws in layman's terms
- Must be able to consistently demonstrate sound ethics decision making and judgment
- Must be able to think analytically and apply sound judgment, solve problems, make effective decisions, and act with integrity
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Must have a high level of professional organization and professionalism.
- Must complete a clean drug screen prior to employment, except for substances legally prescribed by a physician.
- A background check will also be conducted on the applicant.
Juris Doctorate Degree or third-year law student. If the applicant is a third-year law student, the applicant must have completed research and writing and must be proficient in researching legal issues and legal writing.
Pay Scale: Negotiable, with minimum salary being at least $20.00 per hour. The salary will be based upon experience and qualifications.
Hours: This position is a grant funded position for the year of 2021. This office has been authorized to utilize $18,000 towards this position. Hours are flexible, based upon the needs of the office and courts.
Send resumes/correspondence to:
The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office of Branch County
ATTN: Zachary W. Stempien
Branch County Courthouse
31 Division St.
Coldwater MI 49036
Resume accepted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Branch County is an equal opportunity employer.