Assistant Prosecuting Attorney- Kalamazoo County
Annual Salary: K-10 (A) $60,424.00
Responsibilities and Qualifications:
Represents our citizens as their attorneys in criminal, quasi-criminal and civil matters by reviewing, enforcing and litigating the applicable law.
- Prepares and presents misdemeanors, civil infraction, mental commitment, juvenile delinquency, and lesser felony cases to ensure that defendants are held accountable for their actions.
- Reviews selected investigation reports, authorizes legal proceedings and rejects substandard cases.
- Negotiates cases dispositions, according to office policy in order to reach a resolution prior to trial.
- Prepares motions, briefs, pleadings and memoranda to inform courts of the office’s position on specific cases.
- Accepts special assignments, including legal research and writing. Other duties as assigned.
License to practice law in the State of Michigan. Previous experience or interest in the criminal justice/legal systems. Basic knowledge of evidence, criminal law and court rules. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Willingness to follow office policies, high ethical standards, personally and professionally.
VETERANS: Please provide your joint services transcript with your application.
Apply online: https://www.kalcounty.com/hrd/openings.php