Assistant Prosecuting Attorney- Berrien County
TITLE: Assistant Prosecuting Attorney: Trial Attorney ($57,652-$93,485)
Under supervision of the County’s Prosecuting Attorney, assists in prosecuting routine complaints for and on behalf of the County and other official agencies.
- Receives and reviews police reports and arrest warrants from police departments for the authorization of criminal charges.
- Prosecutes criminal complaints from the initiation of charges through completion in the District and Circuit Courts.
- Represents the people of the State of Michigan in jury and non-jury in misdemeanor and felony cases in the District and Circuit Courts.
- Interprets and applies criminal statutes for police agencies; provides advice on proper legal procedures; prepares and reviews search warrants for law enforcement agencies for presentation to the District Court.
- Exercises a considerable degree of independent judgment throughout each state of the criminal justice process.
- Completes special projects and assignments as requested by the Prosecuting Attorney.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
EDUCATION: Graduation from accredited law school is required.
EXPERIENCE: No prior experience is required. Salary based on prior experience, is applicable.
Admission to practice before the Michigan Supreme Court is required within four months after the administration of the last bar exam.
If you are interested in applying for an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney position with the Berrien County Prosecutor’s office, please check the Berrien County website. The application can be found on the website. Once you have filled out the application, please submit your application and resume to the Human Resources department. If you have any questions, please contact Prosecutor Steve Pierangeli directly at the Prosecutor’s office at extension 8311.