Assistant Prosecuting Attorney- Berrien County
TITLE: Assistant Prosecuting Attorney II ($63,416 - $84,893)
DEPARTMENT: Prosecutor’s Office
Under general supervision of the County’s Prosecuting Attorney, prosecutes complaints for and on behalf of the County and other official agencies.
- Receives and reviews police reports and arrest warrants from police departments; approves and authorizes arrest warrants or returns warrants to agencies for further investigation. Advises police agencies on proper legal procedures.
- Prosecutes difficult criminal complaints on behalf of the State of Michigan.
- Prepares legal briefs for submission to Circuit and District Courts, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Represents the people of the State of Michigan in jury and non-jury felony and misdemeanor cases in the Circuit Court, Probate Court and District Court, as well as argues cases in front of the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Assists less experienced Assistant Prosecuting Attorneys by recommending strategies and techniques.
- Exercises a considerable degree of independent judgment throughout each state of the criminal justice process and in the preparation of cases.
- Completes special projects and assignments as requested by the Prosecuting Attorney.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Education: Graduation from law school is required
Experience: A minimum of three years paid, full time previous civil, criminal, appellate or probate legal counseling experience is required. Candidates with no prior experience or less than three years of experience may qualify for Assistant Prosecuting Attorney I position. ($57,652 - $77,259).
A member of the State Bar of Michigan
This description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.
Please contact Betsy Steltner, firstname.lastname@example.org, to apply.