Assistant Prosecuting Attorney- Bay County
There is a job vacancy in the BAY COUNTY PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE.
JOB TITLE: ASSISTANT PROSECUTING ATTORNEY (Two Positions)
RATE OF PAY: $70,075.20 per year, entry, progressing to $88,816.00 per year after 5 years (PN10)
Under the general supervision of the Prosecuting Attorney, serves as the legal representative of the People of the State of Michigan in regard to criminal offenses in Bay County. Prosecutes persons accused of misdemeanor, felony and juvenile offenses. Prepares case materials and participates in all court proceedings until final disposition of case.
1. Reviews police reports and interviews citizens to obtain facts about the case as to what acts were committed, names of witnesses and other evidentiary information and authorizes charges as appropriate.
2. Attends pre-trial conferences to discuss charge and any possible disposition.
3. Prepares for court proceedings by researching legal cases and applicable laws; drafts briefs and legal memoranda in support of court arguments.
4. Appears in court during preliminary hearings, arraignments, plea taking, trials and sentencing, and counsels police agencies regarding investigations.
5. Participates in criminal trials by conducting voir dire of prospective jurors, presenting opening and closing statements, examining and cross examining witnesses and presenting evidence and arguing motions.
6. Confers with law enforcement officials, probation agents and defense attorneys.
7. Researches the law of the case including Federal and State legislation, to be informed by case precedents and changes in statutory law.
8. Discusses prosecution and strategy of case with supervisor and fellow assistants.
9. Prosecutes and defends appeals as assigned and appears before the Appellate Courts.
10. Consults with Department of Social Services representatives and prosecutes dependent neglect petitions in Probate Court.
11. Adheres to and enforces the Crime Victims’ Rights Act.
12. Consistent and punctual attendance is an essential function of this position.
13. All other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
Graduate of accredited law school, licensed to practice law in Michigan; experienced in criminal law preferred; must have sincere interest as an advocate for the People. Prior appellate experience is preferred. Applicants may be required to take written and/or other examinations.
Physical: This position involves sitting most of the time and/or being mobile or standing for brief periods of time. Additional requirements include the ability to move objects according to the following weight & frequency: generally, 10 pounds of force up to one third of the time. Valid Michigan operator’s license required.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Apply online at www.baycounty-mi.gov. no later than September 19, 2022.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
“Bay County is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Bay County and its departments to pursue equal employment opportunity regardless of height, weight, political or religious affiliations, race, color, sex, disability, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or other protected classification set forth by law in our relationship with applicants for employment, employees of the department, and the public.”