Assistant Prosecuting Attorney I- Berrien County
TITLE: Assistant Prosecuting Attorney I ($57,652---$77,259)
DEPARTMENT: Prosecutor’s Office
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under supervision of the County’s Prosecuting Attorney, assists in prosecuting routine complaints for and on behalf of the County and other official agencies.
- Receives and reviews police reports and arrest warrants from police departments; approves and authorizes arrest warrants or returns warrants to agencies for further investigation. Advises police agencies on proper legal procedures.
- Prosecutes criminal complaints on behalf of the State of Michigan.
- Conducts legal research in order to prepare legal briefs and present prosecution’s case at trial.
- Prepares legal briefs for submission to Circuit and District Courts, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Represents the people of the State of Michigan in jury and non-jury felony and misdemeanor cases in the Circuit and District Courts, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
- Exercises a considerable degree of independent judgment throughout each state of the criminal justice process.
- Completes special projects and assignments as requested by the Prosecuting Attorney.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
EDUCATION: Graduation from accredited law school is required.
EXPERIENCE: This is an entry level position. No prior experience is required.
Admission to practice before the Michigan Supreme Court is required within four months after the administration of the last bar exam.
This description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.